It might be hard to imagine a celebration without raising a glass to make a toast, but the real consequences of alcohol abuse should not be forgotten:
- The annual per capita consumption of alcohol in Belarus, measured in equivalent litres of pure ethanol, stands at about 11.2 litres among adults above 15 years of age — among the highest in the world.
- Binge drinking is one of the main causes of divorce. Between 70 and 75 percent of all divorce cases are linked to alcohol abuse.
- Alcohol is a contributing factor in approximately half of all road accidents.
- Alcohol poisoning is one of the main causes of death in the country.
- Average life expectancy is 15 years shorter among people with drink problems.
- Many domestic crimes are committed under the influence of alcohol.
Health and the environment
Population growth and the environment