The cap of this mushroom is between 10 and 25 centimetres in diameter and is pale grey to olive-brown. The pores are blood red, becoming a paler orange-yellow at the edge of the cap. The flesh slowly turns blue when broken or bruised. The bulbous, red-patterned stalk (or stipe) is 6 to 12 centimetres long and 5 to 10 centimetres thick. The mushroom has a strong, unpleasant smell. It is poisonous and causes the gastrointestinal symptoms of nausea and vomiting if eaten.
The Devil’s bolete is found in southern Europe growing in warm conditions on soil with a high chalk content. It is typically found in hardwood forests, mainly under beech and oak.